Winegar, Wilhelm, Glynn & Roemersma, P.C.
Call now to schedule a free initial consultation.
  • 908-454-3200Phillipsburg, NJ
  • 610-807-0440Bethlehem, PA
  • 908-475-2500Belvidere, NJ

Carbon monoxide poisoning: A silent disaster

carbon monoxide danger.jpgNot all disasters come with clear and obvious warning signs. Some can arise in silence like carbon monoxide buildups in homes.

When carbon monoxide builds up in a home, it can expose occupants to carbon monoxide poisoning. Buildups can occur in a variety of ways, such as through breakdowns, ventilation problems, or defects in gas appliances (such as heating and water heating systems). This is why it's important to have these appliances checked regularly.

Exposure to excessive amounts of carbon monoxide can be very harmful to a person's health. It can even be fatal. Generally, the longer the exposure, the more harm can be done.

Carbon monoxide is both odorless and colorless. Therefore, there isn't much in the way of natural warning signs when it's building up. Having a battery-powered or battery-backed-up carbon monoxide detector in your home is important to help ensure you and your family are alerted if this silent disaster is arising.

In addition to having a carbon monoxide detector, it is also important to take steps to ensure this detector serves its key role. This includes:

  • Making sure it is in the right place: It is important for the detector to be in a place where you and your family will hear it, even if you are sleeping.
  • Regularly checking the detector's batteries: To make sure you don't forget to do this, you might find it helpful to always do such a battery check when adjusting the time on your clocks in the fall and spring.
  • Replacing the detector at appropriate intervals: According to CDC recommendations, you should replace carbon monoxide detectors every five years.

You will also want to make sure that your family knows what to do if the alarm goes off. When the alarm gives off:

  • Get out of the house right away.
  • Call 911.
  • Get prompt medical attention if you are showing signs of potential carbon monoxide poisoning. Such signs include dizziness, light-headedness, headache, chest pain, confusion, nausea and vomiting.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious condition. Take the steps necessary to protect your family from what could be a potentially disasterous situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Team will help protect your rights & ensure a fair trial

Request a free consultation

Request A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Phillipsburg Office
305 Roseberry Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

Phone: 908-454-3200
Fax: 908-454-3322
Map & Directions

Bethlehem Office
84 East Broad Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018

Phone: 610-807-0440
Fax: 908-454-3322
Map & Directions

Belvidere Office
110 Mansfield Street
Belvidere, NJ 07823

Phone: 908-475-2500
Fax: 908-454-3322
Map & Directions