Here at Winegar, Wilhelm, Glynn & Roemersma, we know that injuries can happen almost anywhere and for many different reasons. This is why our personal injury attorneys are so aggressive when it comes to slip and fall accidents. Many times these kinds of incidents are preventable if property owners took just a bit more care and were a bit more attentive. The teams at our offices in Phillipsburg, New Jersey and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania would like to take a few moments right now to consider the nature of these kinds of accidents and what they involve right now so you have a basic understanding of why we take them seriously.& ;
About Slip and Fall Accidents
Also known as slip, trip, and fall accidents, a slip and fall accident is one of the most common kinds of premises liability lawsuits out there. In basic terms, this refers to any kinds of incidents that lead to an unexpected fall on a premises. The term is very loose and very broad, allowing it to be a catch-all for numerous situations and different kinds of venues.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Wet or slippery floors – If a floor is wet or slippery, it increases the chances of a person losing footing and falling over, resulting in a major injury
- Broken boards or loose floors – Broken boards or loose boards can make it more likely for people to lose balance as they are walking by
- Loose or exposed wires – If an extension cord or other kind of cable is exposed, it can make tripping and falling more likely
- Torn or snagged carpeting – Torn carpet isn’t just an aesthetic issue, it can also lead to a person’s foot getting caught and a nasty fall
- Lack of handrails and guardrails – Whether it’s stairs or ledges, the lack of a guardrail is a major danger
- Broken or poorly maintained steps – Broken steps make it more likely for people to lose balance when they are ascending or descending the stairs
- Bad weather – Bad weather makes surfaces slippery and can take their toll over time, wearing down otherwise sturdy materials
Injuries That May Be Experienced As a Result of a Slip and Fall
The injuries that people may experience from a slip and fall injury can vary depending on the nature of the incident. Many times people tend to experience the following from minor to severe slips and falls:
- Bumps and bruises
- Scrapes and lacerations
- Pulled muscles
- Sprained joints
- Torn ligaments
- Fractured or broken bones
Serious slip and fall accidents can prove fatal, particularly if they involve falls from major heights.
What Property Owners Can Do to Prevent Danger
In order to prevent serious injuries from occurring at a premises, it’s imperative that property owners ensure that their properties or businesses are up to code. Simply following existing safety recommendations and laws will help keep a premises safe in general.
Proper maintenance and cleaning of a property is also crucial. Make sure that spills are dried as soon as possible, and that any broken steps or floorboards are fixed as well. Once again, meeting basic requirements will prevent injury and hazards for visitors and customers.
When a property owner or business is negligent in these matters and an injury occurs, that’s when injury victims and their loved ones should get in touch with our attorneys.
Meet with Our Personal Injury Attorneys
If you would like more information about your legal rights following an injury on another person’s property, it is of the utmost importance that you contact our personal injury law firmtoday. The teams at our New Jersey and Pennsylvania offices look forward to meeting you in person and helping you receive just compensation for your injuries.