The following is a list of common misconceptions on the issue of Family Law.
1. The mother is always designated as the parent of primary residence for the child.
2. Only men pay alimony to their former spouse.
3. Permanent alimony (now known as open duration alimony) will last forever.
4. In divorce, all assets and debts are divided equally.
5. The party who caused the breakdown of the marriage will get less at the end of the divorce because they are at fault.
6. An individual can remain unemployed to avoid paying child support and/or spousal support.
7. If the other party does not pay child support, you do not have to let them see the child.
8. Prenuptial Agreements have a negative connotation.
9. You do not need an attorney to get divorced.
Each case is unique. If you have questions about Family Law, contact the law firm of Wilhelm & Roemersma to speak with one of our experienced attorneys.
THE FOREGOING IS INTENDED TO BE A GENERAL DISCUSSION OF THE LAW AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC QUESTION, PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE AND SPEAK WITH AN ATTORNEY.