There are many precautions individuals can take to avoid slip-and-fall accidents during the winter season.
However, even with taking such precautions, situations may still arise where you come across an icy patch and start falling. Therefore, it is important to know what do.
Tips for falling safely
Falls vary greatly in what injuries they can cause. There are steps that can be taken to reduce injury when one has slipped on ice:
- Keep your elbows and knees bent
- Don’t reach out with locked arms
- Roll into the fall rather than trying to fight it
- Aim to land on the muscle-heavy and meaty parts of your body
- Aim to land in a way that spreads out the impact of the fall
- When falling forward, protect your head by turning your face to the side
- When falling backward, protect your head by tucking in your chin
Get appropriate medical treatment
Getting medical care is crucial after a slip-and-fall accident, even if an individual initially feels his or her injuries aren’t that bad. Fall injuries don’t always show their full symptoms right away. The longer injuries go untreated, the more time they could have to develop into more severe problems.
Don‘t ignore legal matters
Compensation issues can have big impacts on a person’s recovery from a slip-and-fall accident on ice. Make sure the appropriate legal matters are properly addressed in the wake of such an incident.
If you find you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident due to negligence, please contact our attorneys, and we will assist you in any way that we can.